
Why is my avatar so big
#1 Why is my avatar so big
I have tried to put on a new avatar and it has come over very large. I am using photo bucket as the host.

Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Having no joy loading up my avatar from photobucket. The forum comes up with Debug Mode line 251.
I have resized the picture and using the direct link to photobucket. I have also tied to choose file from my computer but it loads a blank image.
Any ideas?
I have resized the picture and using the direct link to photobucket. I have also tied to choose file from my computer but it loads a blank image.
Any ideas?
Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Hi Tony
We are having some problems with avatars since we moved servers although your problem is different I think. You need to put your chosen avatar photo on Photobucket and link to it using the Photobucket 'Direct Link' address (not the [Img] type address used in posts). Test it by putting the link into your browser address bar and hitting enter - you should see a blank page with just your small avatar on display. Paste the same link into your profile in the ' link to off site avatar' or the 'upload from URL' (can't remember which, try both). Photo needs to be no more than 200x200 pixels and 15k in size. Use photo editing software to make it so otherwise it will fail.
Some people have lost theirs (shows a a little square in their post rather than a picture). I need to look into it but we are in Mauritius so it will have to wait until I rerun. On a positive note it is a constant and balmy 29 C here, no doubt very similar to Britain 8)
Sent from my iLounger
We are having some problems with avatars since we moved servers although your problem is different I think. You need to put your chosen avatar photo on Photobucket and link to it using the Photobucket 'Direct Link' address (not the [Img] type address used in posts). Test it by putting the link into your browser address bar and hitting enter - you should see a blank page with just your small avatar on display. Paste the same link into your profile in the ' link to off site avatar' or the 'upload from URL' (can't remember which, try both). Photo needs to be no more than 200x200 pixels and 15k in size. Use photo editing software to make it so otherwise it will fail.
Some people have lost theirs (shows a a little square in their post rather than a picture). I need to look into it but we are in Mauritius so it will have to wait until I rerun. On a positive note it is a constant and balmy 29 C here, no doubt very similar to Britain 8)
Sent from my iLounger
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
Thanks David, I will keep trying. It's a balmy -1 with 50mm of snow here. Are we the lucky ones
Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
I lost my own avatar trying to change the photo in the normal way. It wouldn't upload driectly from my computer as it had before.Tony wrote:Having no joy loading up my avatar from photobucket. The forum comes up with Debug Mode line 251.
I have resized the picture and using the direct link to photobucket. I have also tied to choose file from my computer but it loads a blank image.
Any ideas?
However, David's suggestion appears to work. Just open your selected photo in photobucket or whatever, left click on the HTML code box to copy its url and paste that into the "Link to off-site Avatar" box in your profile.
If my new avatar shows up here, it works. :D
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)
(sold)
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
Hi 38E
It just keeps stating the remote of the URL is not valid. Either photobucket is not working or our forum site has a bug. I think I have tried everything now.
I have even tried to put my old avatar on from photobucket but it still does not work.
I seem to be able to put the picture in the body of the post but not the avatar. See below

It just keeps stating the remote of the URL is not valid. Either photobucket is not working or our forum site has a bug. I think I have tried everything now.
I have even tried to put my old avatar on from photobucket but it still does not work.
I seem to be able to put the picture in the body of the post but not the avatar. See below

Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
That picture looks a LOT bigger than 200x200 pixels. It's actually 1024x768. The limit is 200 not 2000. :D
In Photobucket you can Edit the picture, Resize it so the largest dimension is 200 pixels, and save it as a copy. Be sure you select the smaller version when you get the link.
If that still doesnt work, then the file size is probably too big. Photobucket doesnt let you know the file size which can be a problem. You can download the small version to your PC/Mac and from there check the file size which cannot exceed 15k. Even a 200x200 pixel image can easily exceed 15k in size at anything more than 50% quality for the JPG. And then upload it to the Avatar or upload it back to Photobucket and direct link it from there.
No matter the reason (corrupt file, >200px, >15k, bad link) the forum will just barf with an unhelpful response.
If your file is still >15k in size you can use Paint.NET on the PC or iPhoto on the Mac to reduce the JPG quality. At that size the quality doesnt matter very much since you aren't trying to blow it up and print a poster.
that should get your file uploaded without any barfing. However, you may have a broken link icon for an avatar. But that is a bug in the forum.
Hope that helps.
In Photobucket you can Edit the picture, Resize it so the largest dimension is 200 pixels, and save it as a copy. Be sure you select the smaller version when you get the link.
If that still doesnt work, then the file size is probably too big. Photobucket doesnt let you know the file size which can be a problem. You can download the small version to your PC/Mac and from there check the file size which cannot exceed 15k. Even a 200x200 pixel image can easily exceed 15k in size at anything more than 50% quality for the JPG. And then upload it to the Avatar or upload it back to Photobucket and direct link it from there.
No matter the reason (corrupt file, >200px, >15k, bad link) the forum will just barf with an unhelpful response.
If your file is still >15k in size you can use Paint.NET on the PC or iPhoto on the Mac to reduce the JPG quality. At that size the quality doesnt matter very much since you aren't trying to blow it up and print a poster.
that should get your file uploaded without any barfing. However, you may have a broken link icon for an avatar. But that is a bug in the forum.
Hope that helps.
70 E-type OTS
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8
Yes, that's exactly what I did (since I only have a laptop with me here so can't use my regular photo editor).vrracing wrote:
If your file is still >15k in size you can use Paint.NET on the PC or iPhoto on the Mac to reduce the JPG quality. At that size the quality doesnt matter very much since you aren't trying to blow it up and print a poster.
Just open the selected photo in Paint, then use the percentage size reduction feature until you get it small enough to be accepted.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)
(sold)
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9
Hi
This pictures was to show I could get pictures from Photobucket. The ones I tried to use for my avatar were resized below to 15k and below to 100 pixels. I tried both from Paintnet and Photobucket without success.
I will get it right one day
This pictures was to show I could get pictures from Photobucket. The ones I tried to use for my avatar were resized below to 15k and below to 100 pixels. I tried both from Paintnet and Photobucket without success.
I will get it right one day
Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#10
You have successfully loaded an avatar picture, Tony. You can tell because it is showing the broken link icon instead.
Mine was doing the same but I put the Photobucket Direct Link into the Link to off-site Avatar field and it worked.
Mine was doing the same but I put the Photobucket Direct Link into the Link to off-site Avatar field and it worked.
70 E-type OTS
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#11
Ok Guys
I now have my avatar back. Next thing is how do you get the larger one like some of you have?
I now have my avatar back. Next thing is how do you get the larger one like some of you have?
Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#12
Weird, Tony. On my screen (Chrome on Win7) your avatar is 2.5 times larger than everyone else's.
70 E-type OTS
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#13
Far too big Tony, it is screwing up the formatting of any threads you post in. Please try again. You can use Picasa to export the picture at 200x200 pixels and then put that into you profile.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#14
The avatar at my end was only 150 at its widest. I have now set it to 200 and it has gone small. My end now looks about right. I hope so anyway.
Apologise for any problems coursed. Let me know if it is looking to big at your end.
Apologise for any problems coursed. Let me know if it is looking to big at your end.
Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Mark Gordon
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm
- Location: Columbus, Ohio

#15
Does this car make my avatar look big? 
Mark
67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE
67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#16
Mark, what are you suggesting? :D
Tony (E typed)
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)
Tony
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#17
Working OK at this end Tony!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Mark Gordon
- Posts: 1009
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm
- Location: Columbus, Ohio

#18
Tony, I have no idea what you mean.
Mark
67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE
67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




