Once again........tyres
#1 Once again........tyres
I do need a full set of new tyres on my V12, as the current ones are not really safe due to their age and visual cracking on the walls on a few of them. Tyre spec is 205/70/R15. If I really have to, then I'll invest in a set of Dunlop SP Sports at ?250 inc vat each. However, would anybody have advice on the following from Longstone or Vintage.
Avon CR28 @ ?215
Maxxis @ ?128
Also the Blockley @ ?179
Thanks.
Avon CR28 @ ?215
Maxxis @ ?128
Also the Blockley @ ?179
Thanks.
1971, S3, 2+2, manual. Red.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Hi Marcus
I would suggest you look at Vredestein Sprint Classic.
If you are a member of JEC and you ring Vredestein direct you can get them delivered to your door at a very competitive price; it is so good it is worth joining JEC for!! You will then have to arrange fitting and balancing yourself.
Regards
Roger

I would suggest you look at Vredestein Sprint Classic.
If you are a member of JEC and you ring Vredestein direct you can get them delivered to your door at a very competitive price; it is so good it is worth joining JEC for!! You will then have to arrange fitting and balancing yourself.
Regards
Roger
Roger McEwen
S2 FHC Green
Triumph TR6 Mimosa
S2 FHC Green
Triumph TR6 Mimosa
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
OK thanks Roger.
I was looking for a somewhat cheaper tyre, hence my question regarding the other makes. At this time I don't think I can stretch to the Vredestein. I know you get what you pay for. However, as the car is intended only for use on high days and holidays with limited mileage and generally in the dry, I was looking at the cheaper end of the market. Also, based on the fact that you are advised to replace your tyres anyway after year 6/7, then you can see my thought process. If I wasn't at risk of losing my final salary pension at work, then I wouldn't be asking this question anyway. However, that's another story that I won't go into right now .

I was looking for a somewhat cheaper tyre, hence my question regarding the other makes. At this time I don't think I can stretch to the Vredestein. I know you get what you pay for. However, as the car is intended only for use on high days and holidays with limited mileage and generally in the dry, I was looking at the cheaper end of the market. Also, based on the fact that you are advised to replace your tyres anyway after year 6/7, then you can see my thought process. If I wasn't at risk of losing my final salary pension at work, then I wouldn't be asking this question anyway. However, that's another story that I won't go into right now .
1971, S3, 2+2, manual. Red.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
Hi Marcus
If you are a member of JEC you can get them at a good price. My 4 tyres cost less than ?300, plus fitting costs locally!
Give them a ring and quote your JEC membership number, you might be surprised.
Vredestein sponsor the JEC Racing series, hence the deal.
Roger
If you are a member of JEC you can get them at a good price. My 4 tyres cost less than ?300, plus fitting costs locally!
Give them a ring and quote your JEC membership number, you might be surprised.
Vredestein sponsor the JEC Racing series, hence the deal.
Roger
Roger McEwen
S2 FHC Green
Triumph TR6 Mimosa
S2 FHC Green
Triumph TR6 Mimosa
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
OK thanks Roger.
Having just spoken to Vredestein, you're abosolutely right. It's a very good price with JEC membership.
Having just spoken to Vredestein, you're abosolutely right. It's a very good price with JEC membership.
1971, S3, 2+2, manual. Red.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
Hi, just replaced my old tyres ( 12 years old ) on my Series 3 roadster, as car is fuel injected and has uprated suspension was looking for modern, soft rubber tyre that didn't look modern in the tread department and would improve handling. In the end settled for Uniroyal Rain Experts - they really grip in the dry and ride is much better relative to our poor quality roads. Price fitted ?253 for 4. I did elect to go for 60 profile 205s V rated.
Phil
Phil
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
Thanks for the info Phil.
BTW. Did you need to speak to your insurance co. re non standard tyre?
BTW. Did you need to speak to your insurance co. re non standard tyre?
1971, S3, 2+2, manual. Red.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8
No I didn't but was told 60 profile fine for standard rims - you could try for 70 profile if worried.
Phil
Phil
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9
I really don't understand much about tyres, even less about tyres pricing !
if I look for 205/70 R15 with 'H' speed (up to 210 km/h), prices for the same brand (Michelin) vary from 92 to 350 ?



what the hell is the difference ?
if I look for 205/70 R15 with 'H' speed (up to 210 km/h), prices for the same brand (Michelin) vary from 92 to 350 ?



what the hell is the difference ?
2+2 1970
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#10
Series 2 cars should be on 185VR15 tyres Roland, not 205's.
Ian
Ian
E-type - TBC
1968 Triumph GT6 Mk1
1968 Triumph GT6 Mk1
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#11
considering my budget does not allow 1700? spendings on 5 Pirelli Cinturato tyres (need to save for potential AutoBox overhaul or change to manual), would these Vredestein 185/70/R15 or Pirelli p6000 work out on my"Turbo disc" plain chromed wheels ? (H speed - 210km/h seems far from enough)


2+2 1970
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#12
Hi Roland.....Vrederstines are a good tyre with many E owners using them i have the 185s on wire wheels.......what wheels are u going to use?.....and then someone here can advise on the best size etc....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#13
185/70R15 is completely the wrong size. it is far too small.
Series 1 and 2 e type fitted 640H15 Dunlop RS5 originally, and offered 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato as the radial option of choice. Then with the series 2 Dunlop had developed the 185VR15 SP Sport. The price was good and Jaguar had a good relationship with Dunlop so that was offered as the radial tyre on the sereis 2.
I would suggest the best tyres for series 1 & 2 are Cinturato and Michelin XVS
https://www.borrani.com/en/michelin-tyr ... n-xvs.html
https://www.borrani.com/en/set-of-5-185 ... tubes.html
Series 3 fitted power steering and so fitted ER/70VR15 Dunlop. This tyre came out in 68 and wwas fitted to the XJ6. Jaguar could have fitted it to the series 2 etype but it didn't handle as well so they didn't fit it to e type untill they fitted power steering.
Again the best tyres in this size are Michelin XWX and Pirelli Cinturato
https://www.borrani.com/en/pirelli-tyre ... urato.html
https://www.borrani.com/en/205-70vr15-michelin-xwx.html
There is more imfo about e type tyres here http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/jaguar-e-type
Please bare in mind that the film on this page was made before the Cinturato was re produced.
All the tyres we sell are made with modern compounds. tyre manufacturers are not allowed to use the same chemicals they used in the 60's and 70's. However what is important is that they are using a carcase designed to compliment these cars. which is very different to modern tyre design. These period tyres will be better to drive on than a modern tyre. and of course Michelin and Pirelli are still and always have been 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers.
tyres shouldn't be chosen on price ( i suppose i sell tyres so i would say that.) you wouldn't put Marilyn Monroe in Erma Bunts shoes.
Series 1 and 2 e type fitted 640H15 Dunlop RS5 originally, and offered 185VR15 Pirelli Cinturato as the radial option of choice. Then with the series 2 Dunlop had developed the 185VR15 SP Sport. The price was good and Jaguar had a good relationship with Dunlop so that was offered as the radial tyre on the sereis 2.
I would suggest the best tyres for series 1 & 2 are Cinturato and Michelin XVS
https://www.borrani.com/en/michelin-tyr ... n-xvs.html
https://www.borrani.com/en/set-of-5-185 ... tubes.html
Series 3 fitted power steering and so fitted ER/70VR15 Dunlop. This tyre came out in 68 and wwas fitted to the XJ6. Jaguar could have fitted it to the series 2 etype but it didn't handle as well so they didn't fit it to e type untill they fitted power steering.
Again the best tyres in this size are Michelin XWX and Pirelli Cinturato
https://www.borrani.com/en/pirelli-tyre ... urato.html
https://www.borrani.com/en/205-70vr15-michelin-xwx.html
There is more imfo about e type tyres here http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/jaguar-e-type
Please bare in mind that the film on this page was made before the Cinturato was re produced.
All the tyres we sell are made with modern compounds. tyre manufacturers are not allowed to use the same chemicals they used in the 60's and 70's. However what is important is that they are using a carcase designed to compliment these cars. which is very different to modern tyre design. These period tyres will be better to drive on than a modern tyre. and of course Michelin and Pirelli are still and always have been 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers.
tyres shouldn't be chosen on price ( i suppose i sell tyres so i would say that.) you wouldn't put Marilyn Monroe in Erma Bunts shoes.
Chain Gang for ever
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#14
Roland just to confirm the vrederstiens i wes refering to are the Sprint Classic 185HR15
Dougal....do u conseder the above as acceptable on a S2......
Dougal....do u conseder the above as acceptable on a S2......
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#15
mgcjag: I have chrome steel wheels (period option at 24? in 1968), identical to series 3

Dougal: been born in Clermont Ferrand , my heart is strongly inclined towards Michelin, but my wallet just can't afford it, alll the more since I need 5 of them; Cinturatos are 10% cheaper, but still...
what does the "V" and "H" stand for ,making the difference between a 185/70HR15 a 185/70 VR15 and a and a 185/70 R 15 ? Vredestein seems to be denominated either "R" or "HR"

Dougal: been born in Clermont Ferrand , my heart is strongly inclined towards Michelin, but my wallet just can't afford it, alll the more since I need 5 of them; Cinturatos are 10% cheaper, but still...
what does the "V" and "H" stand for ,making the difference between a 185/70HR15 a 185/70 VR15 and a and a 185/70 R 15 ? Vredestein seems to be denominated either "R" or "HR"
2+2 1970
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
KingRichard
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 am
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:

#16
Hi Dougal,
Nice write up. I conclude the following and have 2 questions. I have a series 2 with no power steering. Jaguar only did not fit the 205 tires because of the non standard power steering to S2? If so, fitting 205 tires will gives a better handling than 185 tires? And having no power steering, was is the opinion on fitting 205 tires at the rear and 185 tires at front?
Many thanks,
Richard van den Brand
Nice write up. I conclude the following and have 2 questions. I have a series 2 with no power steering. Jaguar only did not fit the 205 tires because of the non standard power steering to S2? If so, fitting 205 tires will gives a better handling than 185 tires? And having no power steering, was is the opinion on fitting 205 tires at the rear and 185 tires at front?
Many thanks,
Richard van den Brand
E-type series 2 2+2 RHD 1969
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#17
I have 185/15 Vredestein Sprint Classic on my Series 2, and 185/70/15 on another old sports car. I think they are the best you can get, especially if you are a JEC member and buy them direct from Vredestein.
Roger McEwen
S2 FHC Green
Triumph TR6 Mimosa
S2 FHC Green
Triumph TR6 Mimosa
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#18
I think Dougal is saying the tyres are the wrong size because they need to be 80 profile ? not 70 .
Not that i would consider fitting cheap tyres on an E Type , there is an option for those on a budget , Nankang Classic ?60 and it's V rated - might stand out like a Tesco carrier bag in Monaco though
Not that i would consider fitting cheap tyres on an E Type , there is an option for those on a budget , Nankang Classic ?60 and it's V rated - might stand out like a Tesco carrier bag in Monaco though
Steve3.8
64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc
64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#19
I think the V12 fitted 205/70VR15 and I would suggest either the Pirelli Cinturato which is a bargain http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/20 ... urato.html or Michelin XWX which was the choice of the UK Police on their XJ6 Jam Sandwich http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/20 ... n-xwx.html these are genuine period tyre actually made by the original manufacturers.
Chain Gang for ever
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#20
Rol and : as has just been said, it is the profile which is important on Vredesteins . You need the 185 HR 15 or 185 VR 15 Sprint classics which are 80 profile ( NOT 70 ) and which used to be recommended by Dougal although he is now much keener , as you can see, to sell expensive ones instead
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |





