Antifreeze
-
mccreith123
Topic author - Posts: 2
- Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#1 Antifreeze
Any advice on the best type of antifreeze to use on a series 1 E type would be much appreciated.
Martin
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3 Antifreeze
I use the blue concentrate from Halfords. Other motor factors are available!!!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
richard btype
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#4
Martin/Julian
We are each from Hertfordshire with series 1 FHC! :D
We are each from Hertfordshire with series 1 FHC! :D
3.8 FHC Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5
Hi Martin...any non addative Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze ....Bluecol is ideal...use it all year round as an inhibitor to prevent engine corrosion
Last edited by mgcjag on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6 Antifreeze
Hello Richard
I am in Hertfordshire just outside Hemel Hempstead.
1962 3.8 FHC. Far from concourse but running and with an MOT!!! Was originally Opalescent dark blue but now Sherwood (I think) green. Colour changed by a previous owner but has original engine and gearbox.
An almost life long dream fulfilled three years back. You are welcome to drop by in yours
I am in Hertfordshire just outside Hemel Hempstead.
1962 3.8 FHC. Far from concourse but running and with an MOT!!! Was originally Opalescent dark blue but now Sherwood (I think) green. Colour changed by a previous owner but has original engine and gearbox.
An almost life long dream fulfilled three years back. You are welcome to drop by in yours
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
richard btype
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#7
Julian
Unfortunately mine failed the mot on fairly minor items last year (weeping diff and steering rack mounts) and as I plan to have it restored in 2017 and so little spare time in 2016, have more or less decided to park her up!
Mind you its driving me mad, and might just find myself dropping the rear subframe and fitting some new seals!
I'm a few miles from Hertford if you find yourself in the area and there is always the famous 1st Sunday in the month meeting at 'The Goat' in Hertford Heath where one or two E types turn up when the weather is kind!
What month was yours built and the chassis number?
Unfortunately mine failed the mot on fairly minor items last year (weeping diff and steering rack mounts) and as I plan to have it restored in 2017 and so little spare time in 2016, have more or less decided to park her up!
Mind you its driving me mad, and might just find myself dropping the rear subframe and fitting some new seals!
I'm a few miles from Hertford if you find yourself in the area and there is always the famous 1st Sunday in the month meeting at 'The Goat' in Hertford Heath where one or two E types turn up when the weather is kind!
What month was yours built and the chassis number?
3.8 FHC Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8 Hertford heath
Hi. Mine failed on the dreaded oil seals last year. I chickened out and got an garage to fix. I will most certainly try and get to Hertford heath. A nice ride out although not tomorrow as the weather is awful.
Mine is chassis no 860523 DOM 8th May 1962 so a month or so younger than yours. Hope you get yours fixed and good luck with the restoration. I kind of plan to restore mine when I finally retire.
J
Mine is chassis no 860523 DOM 8th May 1962 so a month or so younger than yours. Hope you get yours fixed and good luck with the restoration. I kind of plan to restore mine when I finally retire.
J
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9 Hertford heath
Googled the meet. Looks good. I will definitely get there when the weather improves. Right now my tacho and clock are on the window sill. I have rebuilt the clock with a clocks4classics module to replace the contacts. Works like a dream. Just getting the time right.
And the tacho innards were scraped out and the LM2914 based frequency to voltage converter circuit added...there is a thread elsewhere with the circuit. I made my own PCB. Works fine so I will have a reasonably accurate tacho and a clock that ticks!!! A novelty in an E type!!
And the tacho innards were scraped out and the LM2914 based frequency to voltage converter circuit added...there is a thread elsewhere with the circuit. I made my own PCB. Works fine so I will have a reasonably accurate tacho and a clock that ticks!!! A novelty in an E type!!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
David Oslo
- Posts: 653
- Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:13 pm
- Location: Norway

#10
Here's the thread with the LM2914 / LM2917 circuit layout
viewtopic.php?t=292&postdays=0&postorde ... er&start=0
viewtopic.php?t=292&postdays=0&postorde ... er&start=0
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#11 Antifreeze
Thanks. Copy and paste on my tablet is fraught with issues and I could not paste the link.
Circuit works fine. I did use a 5 watt 20 volt zener diode though and changed the 10 ohm resistor to 22 ohms.
Circuit works fine. I did use a 5 watt 20 volt zener diode though and changed the 10 ohm resistor to 22 ohms.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
mccreith123
Topic author - Posts: 2
- Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#12 Hertford Heath
Hi Richard/Julian
Just read your posts! I've never been to Hertford Heath, but look forward to in good weather. Interested to see our cars are so close in manufacture.
Thanks to all for the antifreeze advice.
Chassis number 860840
DOM 27th August 1962
Martin
Just read your posts! I've never been to Hertford Heath, but look forward to in good weather. Interested to see our cars are so close in manufacture.
Thanks to all for the antifreeze advice.
Chassis number 860840
DOM 27th August 1962
Martin
Martin
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
rossbraithwaite
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm
- Location: The National Forest

#13
Is this still correct? I have read advice elsewhere on here and elsewhere on the 'net about antifreeze containing OAT not being compatible with silicone hoses. I had just refilled my system with Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze containing OAT having read this advice and have since drained it for fear of damaging all the hoses!mgcjag wrote:Hi Martin...any Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze ....Bluecol is ideal...use it all year round as an inhibitor to prevent engine corrosion
'67 S1.5 FHC, manual, maroon with black interior. Originally exported to Arizona but 'repatriated' in '89. Since converted to RHD and triple SUs.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#14
Hi Ross....you should not be using antifreez with OAT addatives... Blucol is a ideal IAT product
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
rossbraithwaite
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 pm
- Location: The National Forest

#15
Thanks Steve, I have bought some Bluecol. I am currently flushing the system with water and will refill with Bluecul ASAP.
Thanks,
Ross
Thanks,
Ross
'67 S1.5 FHC, manual, maroon with black interior. Originally exported to Arizona but 'repatriated' in '89. Since converted to RHD and triple SUs.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#16
What did you use..
Last edited by mgcjag on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#17
Just bought mine from eBay the seller is "carpartssaver"
Concentrate stuff at ?12.29 for 5l delivered
Tim
Concentrate stuff at ?12.29 for 5l delivered
Tim
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
- Posts: 3858
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#18
Some info on various antifreezes:
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-ar ... freeze.pdf
http://www.engine-performance-online.co ... eze-types/
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-ar ... freeze.pdf
http://www.engine-performance-online.co ... eze-types/
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
ALAN COCHRANE
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:37 am
- Location: Fife

#19
Hi Everyone
I'm about to change my coolant-it's a bit overdue at 5 years and counting.
I've read the thread and have decided to plump for Bluecol. Now two questions:-
I can get it cheapest on Amazon:-
Is this IAT or OAT? From what people have already said I'm fairly sure it's the former and OK for the cylinder head.
Second question and I feel a bit of a dummy for asking but what is the recommended proportion of water to antifreeze for the XK engine. It needs a total of 32litres to fill the system and I was thinking 1/3 glycol to 2/3 water. Infuriatingly the Haynes manual only states that the concentration should be to the manufacturer's recommendation but omits to say what that is!
Cheers
Alan
I'm about to change my coolant-it's a bit overdue at 5 years and counting.
I've read the thread and have decided to plump for Bluecol. Now two questions:-
I can get it cheapest on Amazon:-
Is this IAT or OAT? From what people have already said I'm fairly sure it's the former and OK for the cylinder head.
Second question and I feel a bit of a dummy for asking but what is the recommended proportion of water to antifreeze for the XK engine. It needs a total of 32litres to fill the system and I was thinking 1/3 glycol to 2/3 water. Infuriatingly the Haynes manual only states that the concentration should be to the manufacturer's recommendation but omits to say what that is!
Cheers
Alan
Alan Cochrane
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#20
Hi Alan just loom up Bluecol and the data sheet... http://bluecol.co.uk/index.php/nevonpro ... ears-2-5l/
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



